Wednesday 30 November 2011

My Love of Food and Cooking...Where did it come from?

Well I was lucky enough that while working as a sales rep for Irelands Largest Juice and Smoothie company we took on the Irish distribution of the wonderful...the amazing Thermomix machine.  At the time I was only 19 and was training deli staff to to run Juice and Smoothie bars (Boost Juice type places) within their own premises.  The Thermomix was brought in as an option for something that could make "warm smoothies".

Now the Thermomix does a lot more than that as I was soon to learn.  The wonderful Janie of UKThermomix took me under her wing and thought me all there was to know about it.  I was given a Thermomix to use for demos and to "practice".  Needless to say at 19 I had no interest in cooking and was from a very Traditional Meat and 2 Veg Irish family (and I HATED VEG).  So it was just Meat and Potatoes.  

I was did Thermomix demos for many of Ireland's Michelin starred chefs and sold them the machines...through tasting the food in their restaurants I was discovering a new world of culinary delights.  I learned about cooking and how to put food together from Ross Lewis of http://www.chapteronerestaurant.com/ , Kevin Dundon of http://www.dunbrodyhouse.com/, Derry Clarke of http://www.lecrivain.com/ and Nick Murchison of http://www.lortolan.com/.

This was the beginning of my passion for food.

I've come a long way from someone who "didn't like" most of what was put in front of her as a child.  I travelled to China with work in 2010 (most of my family thought i'd starve). The chopsticks took a while to get used to but I embraced the food and loved every minute of it...Snakes, Frogs, Toads and all!  We had Japanese Teppanyaki's once a week, street food 2/3 times a week and food from every other nation in the world. Shanghai is one of the most amazing and diverse countries in the world.  It was there that I met my sole mate and love of my life Shaun.  Who stole me away to Australia with him.

I moved to Australia from China in Nov 2011 so I have been here a year now.  I have had an amazing year and am blessed with every aspect of life.  I began cooking from the moment I got off the plane - I think after 9 months of eating out in China all I wanted was real home cooked food again.  I am lucky that Shaun loves cooking and food just as much as me so we can experiment and have alot of fun in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment